We believe that good policy begins with positive relationships. We listen to the perspectives of families, students, educators, and community advocates, and share those voices in state policy conversations to improve outcomes for students. We also share policy changes with families and communities to make sure that they know what is happening and can give their feedback.
Under our strategic plan, we are focusing on improving statewide policies that affect:
- language access;
- disability access;
- harassment and bullying; and
- welcoming and inclusive school climates.
OEO serves as a valued partner in many statewide policy discussions, including:
- Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee (EOGOAC)
- English Language Learner Workgroup of the Roadmap Project
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- GATE: Graduation A Team Effort
- Military Compact
- Results Washington: Goal 1 (World Class Education)
- Social Emotional Learning Benchmarks Workgroup
- Special Education Advisory Council
- Student Discipline Task Force
- Washington State Becca Task Force
- Washington State Coalition for Language Access (WSCLA)
Recent OEO testimony and public comments:
Our policy work is interconnected with our direct work with families and schools, as well as our trainings and outreach.
To read more about how we work with individual families, educators and community professionals, check out our Get Our Help page.
To learn more about our outreach efforts, and see resources from prior webinars, look at our News & Events page and sign up for our Newsletter.