What can I do if I am being bullied or harassed (for youth)?

If you can do it safely, tell the person to stop. Walk away. Get help.

Let someone know what is happening and how it makes you feel. Telling an adult at school, right away, will make it easier for them to take action to help you.

Telling your family will make it possible for them to support you. Your family can connect with the school to help make sure you are safe, and help make sure the bullying or harassment stops.

Many school districts now have anonymous reporting options for reporting bullying, harassment or other safety concerns.

Even when adults know about a problem with bullying, and want to fix it, the bullying does not always stop right away.

If you have told someone at school that you are being bullied or harassed, but it is still happening, try telling another adult at school, and talk again with your family. Find an adult that you trust, and ask for their help in sharing your concerns with your school principal, or with contacting your district’s HIB Compliance Officer.

If you want to make a formal complaint, ask for a copy of your school’s Harassment and Bullying Incident Reporting Form, fill it out and give it to your principal. Also, ask for a copy of your district’s HIB Policy and Procedure so you can understand what to expect if you report bullying or harassment.  Ask about putting together a Safety Plan, so that the adults at the school can help make sure you do not have to confront the person who has been bullying or harassing you.