All of OEO's Resources in One Place
OEO creates guides and toolkits that help families, schools, and community groups understand how our school system works and what to do when certain issues arise. The first set of materials below are our basic documents but after the three guides, you will find information about specific topics, such as attendance, bullying, and highly capable programs. Finally, at the bottom of the page, you will find electronic copies of our promotional brochures. Please spread the word.
A series of three handbooks for parents and caregivers with children in elementary and secondary public schools in Washington state.
These three manuals are copyrighted to Team Child and the Office of the Education Ombuds, and all rights are thereby reserved. Permission is granted to download and duplicate the manuals for individual and non-commercial use. However, their content may not be otherwise used without expressed permission of both parties.
Use these short toolkits to get information on topics frequently brought to our office.
- Athletics and Activities
- Attendance and Truancy (Spanish)
- Attendance Tips: Elementary Students and Middle/ High School Students
- Communicating with Families Using an Interpreter: Tips for Educators
- Complaints Regarding Staff or Programs
- Enrollment, Choice, and School Transfers Spanish/Español
- Getting Started with Disability Supports at School Spanish/Español Somali
- Highly Capable Programs
- How Does a School District Work? (also in: Cambodian; 中文 (Chinese); 한국어 (Korean); По-Русски (Russian); Somali; Español (Spanish); Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Interpretation Support Tip Card (English/Spanish)
- Online Schools
- Parent Observations in the Classroom
- Phone Interpretation Services for Schools/Districts
- Prior Written Notice (PWN)
- Requesting an Interpreter when Communicating with Schools (available in multiple languages)
- Safety Plans
- Teacher Conferences
- Tips for Families to Prevent and Address Bullying (also in: Punjabi; Russian; Spanish; Vietnamese)
Policy Recommendations and Reports on Our Work
OEO is required by law to make annual policy recommendations to the Governor, Legislature, and State Board of Education for improvements in the state's K-12 education system that will reduce the opportunity gap. Our recommendations are based on data we collect and the trends that emerge from it, as well as our conversations with families, educators, students, and community stakeholders.
- OEO's 2017-2018 Annual Report English Reporte anual 2017-2018 español
- OEO's 2016-2017 Annual Report Reporte anual 2016-2017 español
- 2016 Report on Family Engagement Best Practices: 1408 Report: Executive Summary (2 pages) Español/Spanish Somali
- Summary of Family Engagement Best Practices: 1408 Report: Family & Community Engagement Recommendations
- OEO's 2015-2016 Annual Report (Spanish)
- OEO's 2014-2015 Annual Report (Spanish)
- Language Access Report 2015 (Spanish summary)
- Special Education Task Force Report 2014
- OEO's 2014 - 2017 Strategic Plan
- OEO's 2013 – 2014 Annual Report
- OEO's 2013 – 2014 Annual Report Summary
- OEO's 2012 Legislative Priorities
- OEO's 2011-2012 Annual Report
- OEO's 2011 Recommendations
- OEO's 2010-2011 Annual Report