All of OEO's Resources in One Place
OEO creates guides and toolkits that help families, schools, and community groups understand how our school system works and what to do when certain issues arise. The first set of materials below are our basic documents but after the three guides, you will find information about specific topics, such as attendance, bullying, and highly capable programs. Finally, at the bottom of the page, you will find electronic copies of our promotional brochures. Please spread the word.
A series of three handbooks for parents and caregivers with children in elementary and secondary public schools in Washington state.
Discipline in Public Schools in English (Updated Jan. 2020) /
These three manuals are copyrighted to Team Child and the Office of the Education Ombuds, and all rights are thereby reserved. Permission is granted to download and duplicate the manuals for individual and non-commercial use. However, their content may not be otherwise used without expressed permission of both parties.
Use these short toolkits to get information on topics frequently brought to our office.
- Athletics and Activities
- Attendance and Truancy / Asistencia y Absentismo escolar en español/Spanish
- Attendance Tips: Elementary Students and Middle/ High School Students
- Communicating with Families Using an Interpreter: Tips for Educators
- Complaints Regarding Staff or Programs
- Enrollment, Choice, and School Transfers / Selección de Escuela / Transferencias en español
- Functional Behavioral Assessments & Behavior Intervention Plans (FBAs & BIPs)
- Getting Started with Disability Supports at School: Sharing Your Child’s New Diagnosis with School / Compartiendo una nueva diagnosis de su hijo/a con la escuela en español / Lawadaag Dugsiga Cudurka Cusub Ilmahaaga Somali
- Highly Capable Programs
- How Does a School District Work? also in:
- Cambodian/Khmer តើសាលារៀនស្រុកធ្វើការយ៉ាងដូចម្តេច?
- 中文 (Chinese) 學區如何工作？
- 한국어 (Korean) 학군은 어떻게 작동합니까?
- По-Русски (Russian) Как работает учебный округ?
- Somali Waa Maxay Hawsha ay Qabtaan Maamulka Dugsiga ee Degmada?
- Español (Spanish) ¿Cómo funciona un distrito escolar?
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) Khu Học Chánh Làm Việc Như Thế Nào?
- Interpretation Support Tips Card (English/Spanish)
- Online Schools
- Parent Observations in the Classroom
- Phone Interpretation Services for Schools/Districts
- Prior Written Notice (PWN)
- Requesting an Interpreter when Communicating with Schools (available in multiple languages)
- Restraint and Isolation / Restricción y Aislamiento en español
- Safety Plans
- Supports for Students Experiencing Homelessness (English) Apoyos para estudiantes sin Hogar (en español)
- Teacher Conferences
- 10 Tips for Families to Prevent and Address Bullying also in:
- Punjabi:/ਪੰਜਾਬੀ: ਪਰਿਵਾਰਾਂ ਲਈ 10 ਸੁਝਾਅ ਰੋਕੋ ਅਤੇ ਪਤਾ ਬਦਸਲੂਕੀ;
- Russian/По-Русски :10 советов для семьи, как предотвратить издевательства над ребенком и принять соответствующие меры;
- Spanish/español: 10 consejos para las familias para prevenir y dirigirse el acoso y la intimidación;
- Vietnamese/Tiếng Việt: 10 gợi ý dành cho gia đình để ngăn chặn & giải quyết tình trạng ức hiếp)
Policy Recommendations and Reports on Our Work
OEO is required by law to make annual policy recommendations to the Governor, Legislature, and State Board of Education for improvements in the state's K-12 education system that will reduce the opportunity gap. Our recommendations are based on data we collect and the trends that emerge from it, as well as our conversations with families, educators, students, and community stakeholders.
- OEO's 2018-2019 Annual Report English Reporte anual 2018-2019 español
- OEO's 2017-2018 Annual Report English Reporte anual 2017-2018 español
- OEO's 2016-2017 Annual Report English Reporte anual 2016-2017 español
- 2016 Report on Family Engagement Best Practices: 1408 Report: Executive Summary (2 pages)
- Summary of Family Engagement Best Practices: 1408 Report: Family & Community Engagement Recommendations
- OEO's 2015-2016 Annual Report Spanish/español: Reporte Anual 2015-2016
- OEO's 2014-2015 Annual Report Spanish/español: Reporte Anual 2014-2015
- Language Access Report 2015
- Special Education Task Force Report 2014
- OEO's 2017 - 2020 Strategic Plan
- OEO's 2014 - 2017 Strategic Plan
- OEO's 2013 – 2014 Annual Report
- OEO's 2013 – 2014 Annual Report Summary
- OEO's 2012 Legislative Priorities
- OEO's 2011-2012 Annual Report
- OEO's 2011 Recommendations
- OEO's 2010-2011 Annual Report